Friday 7 March 2008

God help you in your mission




Ndu Baptist Church, pictured on the Internet, has a congregation of anything up to 2,000 each Sunday. Clearly the church has a lot of influence in the community and so I thought I would pay it a visit. George ( the driver) said he would meet me there and that the service would start at 9am.

I arrived at 8.55am and as George was not outside I ventured into the church and the moment I stepped inside the minister approached me. He had heard that I was coming, said that I would be welcomed officially then would be expected to address the congregation and tell them why I was in Ndu. Not only that, I was to sit at the front, on the huge stage, behind the minister.

No point arguing, so I took my place. Choirs were to the left and right of me and the church slowly filled to capacity.

The church is a huge concrete hall with a corrugated tin roof. The PA system, operated by two men at the front of the hall, gave out a constant buzz that sounded like a remote controlled aircraft overhead. As I was sitting behind the minister and readers, I could not really hear what was going on and t add to the confusion there was simultaneous translation into the local language ‘Lambe.’

If there is one thing I have learnt through my stay in Cameroon is that it is pointless trying to work out exactly what is going on at any one time and tht asking lots of questions may not add clarity. Knowing this, I just sat and waited for my moment. I had been told that the service would be around two and a half hours long so, I would just have to wait for a sign and it might be in 10 or 90 minutes.

About 45 minutes in o the service I heard my namne beibg spoken hen the miniter turned round and beconed me onto the podium. I did my bit then with a round of applause returned to my seat and as I did all the choirs stood up and in glorious harmny started singng to me ‘God Bless Her in her Mission’.

No comments: