Thursday 27 March 2008

Les Blancs and a quiet night in

I am sitting in an internet cafe in Yaounde rying to send pictures of womens day and the connecton is so low that I have given up and will try tomorrow.

Internet cafes are a new experience for me. They are crowded with "les blancs" all trying to make a connection home to loved ones. It feels fraught, hot, intense and frantic but at the same time too it is a little connection with a more civilised world.

By that I mean that the serve nice coffee and clean salads which is sometimes a welcome relief from dirty messy streets and meals that take 2 hours to arrive.

It is a meeting place for NGO Blancs and I am sitting here realisng that I know several people here.

Last night I ate in a restaurant with a Canadian woman, a Morrcain man, two Italians, a dutch friend and Charlie who is a Phillipino. Three of them have just walked in for coffee as I am sitting here.

Ex pat world is odd and tonight I have chosen to sit in my room, listen to music and do my French homework rather than go to a Pig Roast followed by a night club.

I miss the contact with Ndu people but I am going part way back on Saturday to run a 2 day workshop which will be fun - apart from the madness of catching the bus......I will tell you about catching buses tonight whilst my colleagues eat pig and drink beer at Charlies house.

A queit night in, what bliss.

No comments: