Saturday 29 March 2008

Last night in Ndu


In the morning of my last day in Ndu, the mayor said that he would like to host a meal for me to say goodbye and tha I was to come to his house at 5pm.

SG picked me up with George. We left George at a bar whist we popped round to SG’s house so that I could take some family photos before I left.

I arrived at the mayors house to find most of the council workers there. Heaps of food had been prepared and George provided the finishing touches with cases of beer and wine.

The mayor made a little speech. He is such a charming, gentle and kind man and it was so touching to here what he had to say. He thanked me for the work I had done and the way I had done it, said that I was like on of his team and asked that I consider staying the 2 years to finish the project. He said we would first eat then SG and a the Ernestine would say a few words before presenting me with a little gift.

So, after the speeches I was told to g to a back room with the girls where they would dress me in the proper clothes for a Manjuh.

I was so touched and felt a little tearful at the huge expression of love for me. I was presented to the whole room and received a round of applause. My Manjuh clothes are very beautiful and I have worn them many many times since. They are clothes for a ‘queen’, whatever that means and when I am wearing them I am often greeted in a special
way that is only used for high status people.

Caroline and Ernestine then took me dancing and Kevin came to walk me home. I had to be up at 5.30am as George was picking me and the mayor up at 6am to take us to a meeting 4 hours drive away.

I felt so loved and honoured and a little sad at the thought of leaving in the morning.

But, reality struck the next day with my daily pastime, waiting for George. He arrived at 8.30am.

No comments: